I don’t know about you but I love to give gifts. I really enjoy shopping with the intent of finding unique items that will put a smile on someone’s face. Today I thought I would share with you my idea for assembling a housewarming gift basket. I picked up all of the items for my gift basket, including even the basket itself, from Target. I love Target because it’s affordable, classy, modern, and good quality.
Here are a few tips for selecting your housewarming gifts:
- Obviously, you want to try hard to give gifts that will be appreciated by the receiver(s). So I always ask myself, “Is this a style that <name> would like?” Don’t pick anything too “out there” and then put them in the awkward position of having to display something that is not remotely their taste.
- If you’re not sure if someone will like a bold/bright pattern or a strongly scented item, always err on the side of playing it safe. For instance, this candle from Target is a very subtle scent, nothing overpowering. It’s pretty neutral and I think it can be appreciated by almost anyone. Plus, it’s soy so it’s eco-friendly–always a plus in my book. 🙂
- Make the packaging part of the gift—I wanted the gift to encompass even the packaging. Doing so means you can really focus on the presentation as a whole and you don’t need to use extraneous wrapping paper, boxes, etc that end up as waste in the end. I opted for a pretty decorative basket. You can also use a large mason jar, apothecary jars, a serving bowl, wrap a gift in tea towels, you get the idea. Get creative!
- I chose not to add a tag to my little basket this time, but I do love this free printable housewarming gift tag created by Julie Blanner. Check it and her out–she’s awesome!
And if you are still stuck for ideas, here are another 12 ideas/4 combinations for making your own housewarming gift basket:
- spoon rest
- bottle of wine
- pretty wine stopper
- a couple nice bottles of infused olive oil & vinegar
- set of cloth napkins
- cleaning supplies
- nice coaster set
- personalized stamp with couple’s new address
- home decorating coffee table book
Good luck and have a great day!