I know I’ve been MIA for the last few weeks, and believe me I feel terrible! The wedding is less than a month away now, and it seems like every spare minute that I’m not at work is spent planning the wedding. I’ll be back to normal after November 8, I promise. J
For now, I thought I would share my absolute favorite recipe on earth—my mom’s apple crisp. I swear to you this is the best one you’ll ever have. Try it and see!
We went apple picking this past weekend, then made the crisp right after….so delicious!
Mom’s Apple Crisp
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. corn starch
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 lbs. (about 8 cups) tart apples, peeled & sliced – this year we used a combination of Stayman, Macoun, Empire, Gala, Fuji, and Jonagold
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- For filling
- Combine brown sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon
- Add apples and toss to coat
- Spoon mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish
- For the topping:
- In the same bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Stir in butter until coarse crumbs form
- Spoon over apple mixture
- Bake for 60 – 75 minutes, until apples are tender and the juices bubbling in the center are shiny and clear. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with ice cream.