These past few days sped by. I’ve been consumed with settling back in to work, putting away Christmas decorations, unpacking clothes, doing copious loads of laundry, following up with United about our bags, and looking into changing to my married name—just to name a few things. 🙂
Today I want to share with you a little project I worked on last night—I created a new printable that I hope you will find useful.
At the beginning of each new year, I like to take some time to reflect on what went well and didn’t go so well the previous year. I think it’s a great exercise because it forces you to think about and appreciate the positive things in your life (and I’m always trying to become a person who sees the glass as half full), and it can motivate you to work harder to achieve what you may not have achieved that year in the new year.
However, in this hectic rat race we live in I find that I often forget the accomplishments, events, and memories that are worth holding onto. I know my memory is already not what it used to be (I blame it on over-stimulation and being constantly pulled in 20 different directions), so I thought, why don’t I create a printable where I can write down and file my thoughts on the previous year? How nice would it be to look back upon these reflections over time to see how I’ve grown and what I’ve accomplished?
So I created this printable called “What Was Pleasing in 2013” to reflect on this past year…
…and I did a bit of soul-searching about what made 2013 pretty great.
Side note: for me, even though I got married and a lot of other wonderful things happened, I found it to be a particularly difficult year, one where I struggled with how to advance myself and be my happiest, and where I often felt hopeless because I ran into blockades time and time again.
I don’t mean to depress you, I do actually have a point here. My point is that when I looked back at what I wrote down last night I realized that there were so many great things to be grateful for in 2013!
Here’s what I wrote (since it’s a bit hard to read above):
- I turned 30 – I’m officially a “big girl”!
- I married the most amazing guy I know.
- I had my little brother back in the US for 6 months and we got the chance to catch up a lot.
- I completed a 21-day cleanse with my best friend & husband.
- I bought a new car – something I never dreamed I would do!
- I published several articles in local magazines.
- I hired a personal trainer and got fit.
- I built a new home office (my prid and joy) with my hubby.
- I started this blog in March…
- And then had nearly 30,000 hits by the end of the year!
- My best friend and I restarted our horror blog…
- …and then Homespun Weddings, our Etsy business where we make and sell whimsical wedding decor. You can “like” us on Facebook here.
- My husband was inducted into our high school’s Hall of Fame (I’m such a proud wife!)…
- ….and finished grad school….
- ….and passed his exit exam!
- I started a “rainy day” fund.
- Jeff and I celebrated 5 years together.
- Then we went to St. Lucia…
- ….on our long-awaited and much-anticipated honeymoon!
- I got a drastic haircut (which I love).
- I read more books thanks to book club…
- ….and developed great friendships in the process.
- I got the new Nikon camera I’ve been dying for.
I’m going to stow this away in my Happy Box, where I can refer to it when I need a little boost. I’ll also be sharing my 2014 goals with you very soon, and I hope we can inspire each other to make 2014 the most meaningful one yet!
If you feel like doing this exercise, feel free to download a PDF of “What Was Pleasing in 2013” here.
Would you mind taking 30 seconds to fill out the attached survey? I would love to know what posts you want to see more of in 2014—thanks and have a great Tuesday!